This is my favorite on-the-go breakfast recipe. I prepare a jar or two at night when I have ripe bananas to use up, and in the morning, breakfast is in the fridge and ready to go… which is super helpful for me on the days when my husband has to leave the house before the crack of dawn!
It’s super simple and quick to make, and it tastes damn delicious!
I still enjoy stove top oatmeal from time to time when I’m needing something warm, but I love the creaminess, taste and ease of these overnight oats even more.
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
What you’ll need:
- Mason jar (12 or 16 oz size)
- Rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana
- Peanut butter (or you can swap the recipe for almond butter)
- Yogurt (optional) (I use Stonyfield Organic Smooth & Creamy French Vanilla)
- Chia seeds
- Milk (almond milk, coconut milk, cow milk… whichever your preference)
I like to add the ingredients to the jar in layers, so that everything is evenly distributed and the top half of the jar is just as tasty as the bottom half.
- Pour rolled oats into the mason jar to fill about 1/4 of the way.
- Slice up the banana and add half of the slices to the jar on top of the oats… the 2nd half will be used on next layer.
- Add a tablespoonful of peanut butter and, if desired, a spoonful of yogurt.
- Add a teaspoon of chia seeds.
- Sprinkle in a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Repeat the above layering for the second half of the jar, leaving about a 1 inch gap at the top.
- Fill the jar with milk to completely soak everything. You can give it a good shake to make sure everything gets covered.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- Enjoy in the morning (or anytime the following day).
If you love the peanut butter banana combo as much as I do, you’ll love this peanut butter banana smoothie recipe.
Want to try another overnight oats recipe? Check out this one for blueberry muffin overnight oats.